Friday, November 4, 2011

Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Dippin' Broth

Shrimpin' Dippin' Broth

Sometimes I am just horrible about posting recipes and restaurant adventures in a timely manner. However, better late than never, I suppose! Especially since this time, I actually want to pass on a recipe I happen to have for one of the most popular dishes at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company -- the shrimpin' dippin' broth.

My dad was in town recently and we've sort of made it a yearly tradition to have brunch at Bubba's, since appreciation for the bounty of the sea really runs in the family. Seth and I usually try to order different things and then share so that we can experience twice the yum when we eat out. Since it's autumn time, he ordered the shrimpin' dippin' broth while I got my favorite "bucket of boat trash". 

This broth is so delicious and savory without being overly filling. It's also relatively easy to make at home if you so desire. Earlier in the year when I was still writing for Examiner, I got my hands on a home version of the recipe and shared it. However, I have yet to actually share it here and really feel it's time to rectify the situation so those of you not lucky enough to live near a Bubba Gump can enjoy it as well -- especially since this is my blog where I care the most about my readership and keeping a proper record of the things I discover.

........

Ingredients for Add-Ins

  • 1 lb of medium-sized shrimp (already peeled and deveined -- frozen is fine!)
  • 1 cup of cooked white rice 
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1/2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon of your favorite Cajun seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper


Ingredients for Broth

  • 12 ounces of clam juice
  • 1/2 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
  • 1 cube of chicken bouillon


- Begin preparing your broth by sauteeing your garlic, Cajun seasoning and black better in the butter over medium heat. This shouldn't take long -- 5 minutes tops. 

- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Immediately bring it down to a simmer and get to work preparing your shrimp.

- Melt your butter in a decent-sized sauce pan. Immediately add your shrimp, Cajun seasoning, garlic, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until shrimp are not quite done. This should only take a minute or two.

- Add broth and heat until entire mixture is simmering nicely. At this point your shrimp will be cooked perfectly and ready to eat!

- Pour into a generous soup bowl. Serve alongside the white rice.

Serving Suggestions

- Although you're welcome to enjoy this simple and delicious broth all on its own, the true Bubba Gumps Shrimpin' Dippin' Broth experience is about eating it alongside bread that's made for dipping. A nice, crusty baguette cut into generous slices is best. 

- The tang of lemon compliments this dish perfectly! Provide diners with a couple of lemon wedges each to really bring out these classic flavors.

........

Bucket of Boat Trash
And because everyone loves the bucket of boat trash at Bubba's almost as much as the dippin' broth, here is my picture of my plate (or bucket) as well. Spicy lobster claws, battered fish, fried shrimp, and crispy French fries with lemon -- yum! It went in my belly a good week ago or more at this point, but still. It was too good not to share.

Come to think of it, I still need to post the write-up and pictures of my birthday dinner at Cafe Stravaganza from way back in March at some point. I can't live with myself until you all know how tasty the Mussels a la Greque dish is there.
Post a Comment