Saturday, November 6, 2010

Brunch At Bubba's

My dad (whom I haven't seen in person in something like six years) happened to be in town today, so he, Seth and I got together this morning for some brunch action. The Bubba Gump Shrimp Company is a major favorite of ours and since it's always a good time for seafood, that's where we decided to go.


This is the New England clam chowder. I never really considered myself to be a major clam chowder enthusiast before, but this might be the day I became a total convert and truly understood for the first time what so many people love about this dish. At first, my dad was the only one that ordered a bowl. However, after looking at and smelling his for a while, Seth and I decided we needed some as well. I'm really glad I ordered this. It was rich without being overly so. The clams, potatoes and broth were all amazing. 

Today was kind of a damp, rainy, grey day outside and this was the perfect thing to warm you up from the inside out. For something I actually ordered as an afterthought, I've really been thinking a lot about how tasty this was. I'm already tentatively plotting further adventures in clam chowder as well. I'd like to try other versions from other restaurants around town, as well as make my own at some point this season. Seth was on board with all of this.


This was Seth's meal. It's coconut shrimp with fries and Cajun marmalade for dipping. Again, in the past I haven't been the biggest champion of sweet/savory combination dishes, but in recent years, I've really come to appreciate them and can't understand what was wrong with me before. The coconut added a pleasant sweetness to the shrimp, as well as an interesting texture. The marmalade was also a really nice touch as a condiment. It tasted a little like orange marmalade that had been spiced a bit as well. Really nice.


Last but not least, this is what both my dad and I ordered for our meal. It is called a "bucket of boat trash" and includes steamed lobster claws, spicy Cajun shrimp, spicy battered fish, and French fries. I probably don't have to go too deeply into what's good about that. Who doesn't enjoy shoving liberal amounts of all of those things into their mouth whenever possible? 


Post a Comment